Friday, 2 October 2009

Pussy is no more!

Early this morning my partner told me that she had seen one of the local cats; a handsome red lad, lying dead on the pathway into a public garden just behind the apartment.
My first thought is, I have to get up and clear it out of the way. The path through the gardens leads to a kindergarden and is used by families with small kids every day.
The cat is dead, not a lot to do about that, he was probably hit on the road and then made his way to a quiet place. I would get up and move him from the path.
That is what I did, quickly got dressed, found a bag and went out to do the deed. As I come out a mum and her daughter are approaching. I lift the cat and head away from them. A guy from the local town council is on his way into the gardens and offers to take the cat from me. He thanks me for picking it up and says they have a special place for getting rid of dead animals.
Now if I had grown up in India for example, would I have reacted in the same way? I doubt it very much. The western idea of death is that it really doesn't happen, we don't talk about it or accept that it is a natural occurrance. We want tradition, we want stability, we just don't want to know!
Is this a healthy sign?
Death is change, death is evolution. Evolution is just about acceptable. Evolution has a taste of hope, improvement. It is the degeneration of death and decay that is just not part of the western mind set. We try and protect our children from the ugly side of life and death is right up there in the top ten of NO, NO nasties.
The lovely red cat is no more, his owner will miss and mourn him for a while. I will put a note up to say what happened. The owner will maybe decide that he/she will no longer have any pets, the wrench of loss is hard to take. And thats it right? We want! We assume it's going to get better. We will not accept loss. There can be no fly in the ointment, no reminder of our impending decay!
On that jolly note, enjoy the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment